Courtney

Yay, Balloons!!!

by Courtney on September 21, 2011

in Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

This past Friday night was the Great Forest Park Balloon Race’s Balloon Glow. Last year, I was honored to be a member of Fontbonne’s balloon race ground crew. This year, I had the honor of being in the audience with my friend and fellow blogger, Elizabeth. (Elizabeth’s sister, Kim, was actually a member of the ground crew this year, so we had a great time “capturing her adventures in pictures” as we said!)

It was a great night.  I had the opportunity to meet St. Louis celebrities like Tim Ezell from Fox 2 News and take a picture with some of my nerdy friends from “The Big Bang Theory.”  (Well, unfortunate as it was, they weren’t actually there, but a big poster of them was tacked up to the back of a van!)  The balloons, as usual, were absolutely beautiful. I loved how they literally ignited the night! And it was great to see the Flying Griffin proudly displaying our school mascot and colors. However, I think my favorite parts of the night occurred when a horn was blown, signifying to all of the balloon pilots that they were to ignite the burners in their balloons so that the balloons would all glow at once. It was a beautiful spectical that was welcomed by the crowd’s erupting cheers. Elizabeth and I couldn’t figure out exactly how to respond to the balloons as they all simultaneously glowed, so we eventually decided to respond with a hearty, “Yay, Balloons!” People may have looked at us like we were crazy, but hey, it was dark out and we’ll most likely never see those people again.