Lizzie

Unlucky or Lucky?

by Lizzie on September 26, 2011

in Campus Community,Extracurricular

Yesterday was very unexpected because it started raining. My drawing class was suppose to take a trip to the zoo, but my two classmates, John and Sheridan, and I were not sure if we should still attend. I asked Sheridan for Mario’s, our drawing instructor, number so I called him to make sure whether we should still come or not. He said “I’m already here. I know it’s raining. Will that be a problem?” I thought to myself Ha ha, I guess it’s still okay. So we decided to still go. When we arrived to my car, we all got in and when I turned my key, my car did not start at all. It was dead! (Note: My car was parked in the Walgreens parking lot. How awesome is that?)

I slightly panicked. I opened the front to check my battery. Apparently, the cables are a bit loose or insecured which causes my car to die. I also assumed that I needed a jump, but I had no idea who I could possibly ask for help. Luckily, a person waiting at the traffic light noticed and asked if we needed cables for a jump. I replied “I think so!” She answered, “Okay, I’ll come around and help.” I felt so relieved! As she drove through the parking lot to my car, I apologized to my classmates many times for the inconvenience. They said it was okay. Sheridan said, “It’s really nice of her to come help.” I agreed, and I think I was pretty lucky. So she parked her car in the opposite position to mine (her engine was in the back of her vehicle. I thought that was pretty cool.) However, my battery was too far to reach. She suggested to put my car into neutral and they’ll push the car out. I couldn’t turn my car on whatsoever to do that. She asked for my keys and starts messing around to see if it’ll work. And she got it! I finally learned that the “shift lock” near my shift was to help put my car in whichever mode it needs if the car is dead. Hilarious!

We moved the car just a bit upwards to the higher parking spot. Our helper goes into her car and slowly moves so that her back vehicle was near the front of my car. Unexpectedly, someone parked near us and came out, asking “What’s going on? What’s wrong with it?” He also helped us with the jump. In a few minutes, my car was alive again! Oh I was so glad and happy. I hugged our first helper, thanking her many times. She told me her name is Emily and asks if we were Fontbonne students and it turned out that she’s also a Fontbonne student! I was just so happy. And the man told me that I might need a new battery or just replace the cables. I’ll make sure to get that resolved.

I felt really lucky. And I’m also happy to have Fontbonne members help me out. I love Fontbonne so much! :)

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Erica Garcia September 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Aww…such a nice Fontbonne community! :)