Something New For Me!

by Fontbonne University on September 27, 2011

in Campus Community

The most exciting new thing for me this year was the Balloon Race at Forest Park. I was born in St. Louis, and I never heard of the Balloon Race! Ever! How silly is that?

I received an e-mail from Janelle about volunteering for the race. The event sounds awesome and I like volunteering, so I signed up. As the weeks flew by, I couldn’t wait until that day.

The day finally came. Funny thing is that I get lost in Forest Park because of how big it is, so I just parked at a random parking lot. My brother, Anthony, and our friend, Tiffany, were with me. We started walking and following the signs which made me realized that I parked really far from the race. Great!

I told Anthony and Tiffany that I’ll just go ahead to the place because I was already late. I walked fast, then ran, then walked, and so forth. I texted my friend, Kara, who was also volunteering, and asked her where our tent was located. She wasn’t sure but she said it’s a purple tent. Of course, it’s our school color. ๐Ÿ™‚

So I finally reached the area andย  saw so many tents! There were different food, accessories, and games everywhere. I continued to search and finally, I found our Fontbonne University tent! I arrived and apologized to Brent, the person in charge who is also the assistant director of Leadership Education and Student Activities. He told me it was alright and gave me the pin and name tag. So awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

Our tent had different games and whoever played got to choose either a Fontbonne frisbee, magnet, balloon, or candy. It was really fun. I had a great time. Later in the evening, I saw the hot-air balloons getting ready. I was so amazed because I never saw hot-air balloons in person before. About 7 p.m., we put away the games and prizes and watched the balloons. I took many pictures. Kara and I were getting excited like little kids. There was also a marching band in between. That was cool, too.

Eventually, we all left, but the preparations were still going. Did I mention there were MANY people there? It was so awesome! Brent and Janelle mentioned that about 130,000 people would attend. I was just so amazed.

That was one very exciting opportunity for me. I’m happy that I got the chance to be a part of the race!