Allison

Happiness 101

by Allison on September 26, 2011

What would put a big smile on your face? Some would say money, or a kiss from a cute guy or girl and/or shopping spree. I think happiness is way more then those quick fixes. The word happiness is hard to define and it is different for everyone. Professor Gilleo reviewed in philosophy class that Aristotle puts it as “moral goodness” and that happiness is also tied to virtue. “Moral goodness is the result of habit. We become just by performing just acts, temperate by performing temperate ones, brave by performing brave ones. We are not born good or bad; rather, we learn to be one or the other by the activities in which we engage.” Happiness to me is not by those quick fixes. I find happiness in being bored and taking time out of the day for just me. Sitting outside even if the sun is not shining bright just to listen to the peace of silence and smile at people who walk by. Happiness to me is hanging out with people who make you feel good for you are. You are who you hang out with and life is too short to be dwelling on the negative. Have you ever heard of the term nirvana? It means you have hit a state of enlightenment in which all desires, pain and suffering and mental anguish disappear. It seems impossible, you can feel it when you use mind over matter. The next time you have fifteen minutes sit in silence and clear your mind. Take away all those stresses of school and social life and act like you don’t have those in your life right now. While those are gone take a look at your life. I did and I have nothing to complain about. Life is so good right now, and even though I have my problems like every other person I choose to now let it wear on my sleeve. Smile at every person you pass and have some positive attitude even when it is hard. Trust me: it is contagious and it will make the world a better place.