Back in Full Swing

by Alumni Posts on September 12, 2011

in Academics,Extracurricular

School has started, classes are already back in full swing, and the feeling of fall is in the air. But, I’m probably getting ahead of myself.  For those of you who don’t know me, let me introduce myself.  My name is Courtney Iberg, and I’m a sophomore here at Fontbonne University.  I’m majoring in biotechnology and physiology and minoring in chemistry and theatre.  I’m all excited about this semester because I am the new Activities Coordinator for the Biological Sciences Organization, which we generally just call the BSO.  (For those of you who know me, you know that I’ll be putting a lot of BSO plugs in my blogs.  Here’s my first plug of the year: Be sure to join the BSO on Saturday, September 24, for our first annual campus-wide Zoo trip!  More info to come later.)

Anyways, back to my introduction.  Like I said, I’m a biology major, so I’m taking a lot of biology and biology-related classes this year.  You’ll find me in organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, cell and molecular biology, and management principles (required for biotechnology majors).  I’m also taking an acting course for my theatre minor, and I’m doing department research with my advisor, Dr. Paine-Saunders.  It’s definitely a rigorous course load, but with the help of my amazing professors and the support of my friends, I’m sure I’ll be able to make it through the semester.   I think that these courses will definitely prepare me for entrance into my desired field, which is biomedical research in (most likely) either microbiology or neurology.

If I were to describe my summer in one word, I would definitely say my summer was “productive.”  I took two general education classes so that I could mark them off my Fontbonne 4-year to-do list, and we got new siding on our house (which was a huge project that desperately needed to be completed).   But, despite all of the progress, I also had some fun.  My parents and I went to Florida and saw the new Harry Potter park at Universal Studios (which, by the way, was absolutely amazing and realistic), and I was lucky enough to see “A Chorus Line” at Stages in addition to all seven musicals performed at The Muny.  (Props to the cast and crew of “Little Shop of Horrors,” which was definitely the most surprising show of The Muny’s season.  I never imagined that I’d become so addicted to a show about a man-eating plant!)

As I said, school is already back in full swing.  I guess that means that I’d better stop blogging and start typing up my anatomy notes for my upcoming test.  So until next time, good luck with the semester, everybody!  I can’t tell you how glad I am to be back with my Griffin family again!