The word “Last.”

by Alumni Posts on May 6, 2011

in After College,Campus Community,New & Future Students

So, it seems like I’m at a point in my life where I’m supposed to be writing serendipitous blog posts about the end of my time at Fontbonne. As nostalgia (and a little bit of anxiety) have clouded my entire thought process, I know that it would be pleasing to write them, but I haven’t been able to make myself. Why? Because I’m in denial. I know that my “lasts” have been whizzing by me each day: my last Tuesday-Thursday class, my last SGA meeting, my last leadership banquet… I’m not ready to admit that college is coming to a close.

Ask anyone, students, professors, staff, and they will tell you that I truly care and love Fontbonne University. I threw myself head-first in getting involved, and this university embraced me. As the kid that moved a lot growing up (5 states, 6 hometowns), I never claimed a  definite home until college. Despite the fact my parents are 5 hours away in the town where I graduated high school, that Tennessee town was never mine. I didn’t get to choose it, and it didn’t fit me very well. Though my path to finding Fontbonne is still hazy in my mind, once I stepped foot on campus for a tour, I knew it fit me. I can say coming to Fontbonne was the best decision I have ever made, even after four years of hard work.

Without this campus, I shutter to think what would have happened to the potential in me that this university cultivated. I can’t say there weren’t times when my confidence in myself and my university faltered, but those were growing moments. I came into Fontbonne as an average student from public school, a decent athlete and with some mid-level leadership experience. I’m leaving with a thesis that earned department honors, two years as SGA president, the recipient of the Dennis C. Golden Collegiate Achievement award, and four years of all-conference cross country recognition. I’m not telling you this to brag. I’m telling you this to show that when you choose the right school for you, the one you really love, it can help you achieve anything. Who you were in high school cannot define you in college.

As this will probably be my last blog post on my last Friday of classes before going to my last Springfest, I just want to say thank you. I end almost every email I send with those two words, and I hope they haven’t lost their true value. But I give my thanks to the Fontbonne community for believing in me so that I could believe in myself. I will wear my  class ring with pride, and I know every time I look at it, it will put a smile on my face. (Though, for the next few weeks, it might just make me cry.)

As for my last thank you, I reserve it for the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. Thank you for creating this wonderful institution of higher education and for continuing to inspire excellence in all students.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Erica May 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Aww…this was such a bittersweet blog.
Thanks for everything, Rachel!
I love you and will miss you here.