Elizabeth

One Down, Three to Go

by Elizabeth on May 10, 2011

in Academics,Campus Community

Although I’m excited about summer, I’m having a little trouble saying goodbye to my freshman year of college. It just seems strange to think that I’m a fourth of the way through school.

I did some cool stuff and met some cool people this year, like adding audio to the Bosnian Memory Project’s website and making friends that make me laugh. I ran my first 5K at Christmas, became a published writer for the school newpaper and blogs, and I even met someone at Fontbonne with the same name as me (which is awesome, but also causes some confusion sometimes).

I think this freshman year made me a tougher person. I’ve learned to live in a new social environment (that is, I had to remember what it’s like to go to school with boys after attending an all-girls high school) and I’ve figured out how to hold onto old friendships while making new ones.

One thing I haven’t done, however, is pull an “all-nighter” of studying. I came really, really close yesterday when I was working on Calculus homework and my last America Abroad paper, but I caved at 1:30 and went to bed. My alarm goes off at 5:45, so I only got 4 hours of sleep that night, and then I overdosed on coffee in the morning, and my hands were literally trembling well into the afternoon. My life is anything but boring, that’s for sure.

All things considered, I’ve adapted over the past year to my new surroundings. I guess I’ll just have to adapt to my new rank as a ”Sophomore.” It’ll feel natural eventually.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

James May 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm

4 hours sleep probably felt like an “all-nighter” the next day! And the caffeine shakes are not that great for trying to focus in classes :-)