Goin’ Home

by Alumni Posts on May 6, 2011

in After College,Campus Community,Career Paths

I’ve spent too long away from home
Did all the things I could have done
Gone are the days of endless thrills
I know I’m not the only one
So long, I’m goin’, goin’ home.

— “Goin’ Home” by Dan Auerbach on Keep it Hid

This is the third year in a row where I realize that this comfortable space I think of as my dorm room must be disassembled, torn apart and boxed-up and partly thrown away. The dorms do close, I forget, and when they close, they close me out.

So I’m starting that process of packing up now, even though finals haven’t arrived. This year’s moving out process will be a little tricky, though. See, while I’m staying in St. Louis this summer for an internship, I’m still going home to Rochester for some 3 weeks, returning before the internship begins. In the mean time, I have to move all my stuff that’s staying in St. Louis to… somewhere else, I’m not exactly sure yet, but somewhere that I can then get all my stuff moved into my new living space when I return.

I like this part of the college experience, I think. I’ve learned to enjoy minimizing the amount of stuff I own. The fewer things to move, the better. I like the idea of practicing moving my life about regularly, since I imagine I’ll probably be moving every few years or so at least for a while, until I really settle into a career and all that jazz.

So long, Medaille 308. It’s been really nice.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Andree Mongon April 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm

But a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style .