Runners, Unite!

in Athletics,Extracurricular,New & Future Students

As I think back on my freshman year of college, it is difficult to pick one person or group that has influenced me the most during my time here. From the moment I arrived with my luggage in hand, everyone has been very welcoming and kind. I was able to get involved with student organizations, be active in sports, and have good experiences in all my classes.

But there was one group of people that made my transition to college infinitely easier and were there for me at the very times that I needed them – the Fontbonne cross country (and track) team. They gave me a built-in support group even before I arrived; it also helped that fall athletes get to move in early, so I had an extra couple of days to get acclimated before the usual rush of freshman move-ins.

Even in high school, I was always super close to my XC/track teammates, and all of my dearest friends are (or at least were) runners. This trend has continued in college as well; I already feel as though I have known my teammates for years! I think it takes a special type of person to be a runner, and I have found that it is easier for me to bond with people that seem to be so intrinsically like me. Maybe I’m getting too deep here, but I really love my team!

I think the most important thing to do when starting something is to just jump in and be involved. Find a group of people that have the same values that you do, and connect with them. There are always opportunities to branch out and try new things, but I have found that this is easier once you have a solid base to start from. Although the XC and track teams have had their ups and downs this year, I still think that being a part of them is one of the best things I could have done. 🙂

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Erica May 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

We’re a pretty awesome group of kids. 🙂