PokéMath

I took my last Calculus test ever this morning.  (Granted, we’re combining the last chapter test with the final exam, and I haven’t taken that yet, but this one was my last normal test.)

I guess it sounds weird, but I’m a little shaken at approaching the point where I have to leave Calculus behind. I’ve been trying to think of an analogy to explain myself, and the one I keep coming back to is Pokémon.

Both Ash Ketchum, the protagonist in the show, and I have had these long, continuous journeys that have consumed so much of our energy and gave us a sense of identity.  I mean, Ash going around catching Pokémon on his quest to be a “Pokémon Master” was pretty much the extent of his character and the show. Fortunately, I’ve got more to live for than Calculus, but for the past 2 years, although I’ve been steadily accumulating equations and methods instead of Pikachus, the results are parallel: it’s been my mission for 2 school years to learn the most I can about Calculus, and that’s left its mark on me.  All the nights I’ve stayed up late memorizing and graphing and solving have formed who I am, and now that those days will soon end, I’m not sure what to do with myself.

Although it’s been quite a while since I’ve followed the Pokémon tv show, I bet Ash hasn’t achieved Pokémon Master status yet.  When he does, though, I’ll bet he’ll be feeling the same way as I am.  Where can you go once you’re at the top?  I’m taking Discrete Mathematics next semester, but that’s an entry-level class, and I think that compared to what I’ve already done, it’ll be fairly easy.  That’ll be nice after this crazy semester, but I think I just like having a challenge when it comes to math.

Surely, there is life after Calculus.  I guess I’m about to see what it’s like.

(Okay.  I’ll stop my melodrama now.)

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Erica May 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Just think; this gives you time to explore other subjects as well! 🙂