Mornings at the Park

in Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

One of the greatest benefits of attending Fontbonne is its proximity to Forest Park. Now that the weather is getting nicer, it seems everyone in St. Louis has the same idea: go to the zoo. In the past week, I alone have been to the Saint Louis Zoo twice; however, in my most recent visit, I made a new discovery: go to the zoo right at the opening.

I typically visit the zoo in the afternoon and stay until closing. While it’s fun, the animals seem a little less enthused and their internal clocks keep them deep in their exhibits when they sense it’s near closing time. On the other hand, in the morning, the animals are lively. The animals in Big Cat Country were all walking around, and even playing and growling in their cages. This is something I have never seen before, because usually by the time I see them, they’re all asleep. Additionally, several of the animals (Zebras, Apes, Chimps, goats, llamas) come right up to the edge of their exhibits closest to the people. I honestly had never been so close to some of these animals.

While I always enjoy the zoo, it’s different in the morning. For one, I could actually find a free parking spot within a block of the entrance, and I felt alone and peaceful with walking and observing. I was the only person at most of the exhibits and I could walk freely, instead of treading through the usual crowds of people. I would suggest to any student to take advantage of the area around campus, especially the zoo, and visit the zoo in the morning. After all, when Forest Park lies in your backyard, you have the benefit of visiting it when others don’t.