The Future Isn’t What It Used to Be

in Career Paths

Have you ever had one of those days when you feel really good about what you’re wearing, you had a good workout, and your grade in chemistry is solid? I was fortunate enough to have one those days today, although I can think of tons of times when I’ve felt like I didn’t ride as hard as I could have on the stationary bike (one of my new favorite pastimes), or that while my brother and I have the same nose, it looks way better on him. In other words, we all have days when we feel insecure for whatever reason. This morning as I was cycling away, I saw on the Today show a little segment about how girls now more than ever are feeling the pressure to be the impossible: the image of perfection. This kind of relates to what I want to do in the future, because I became interested in nutrition through my own crazy pursuit to reach perfection as a super-thin ballet dancer.

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do. Although I’m keeping my options open by taking PT prerequisites, I really want to be a sports nutritionist at the moment, because I feel like there’s a ton of cool stuff that I want to do with it! Here are some of my goals that I’ve come up with. We shall see whether or not I can actually do all (or any!) of them.

1. I want to work with athletes…obviously. I especially want to work with runners, triathletes, dancers, and Olympians.
  2. I want to do some work with ballet students to educate them about eating disorders. This is what sparked my interest in nutrition to begin with.
  3. I want to write articles on nutrition for various fitness and dance publications, like Women’s Health and Runner’s World.
  4. I not only want to specialize in nutrition for athletes, but Women’s health as well. This also kind of relates to eating disorders.
  5. This is my crazy goal: I want to develop my own line of sports nutrition bars for athletes, because I’m obsessed with Clif bars and Luna bars. Why not create my own, right?

What are your goals for your own future? I never knew the sciences of food and sport could make me so excited!

Have an amazing weekend, everyone!

-Carly