Of Flash Drives and Fontbonne

in Campus Community

If there’s one trend that’s appeared again and again this school year, it’s my penchant for losing flash drives. Between the two flash drives I use regularly, one that’s a bright pink rubber bracelet and the other that’s plain ol’ gray except for the postage stamp on its side, I have misplaced them on campus five major times this year. I distinguish “major” incidents from “minor” ones by the means of regaining the flash drive: major ones involve another person picking it up and contacting me about it. Minor ones are when I come back to the last place I had it, and it’s still there. Minors happen about once a week. Majors, fortunately, aren’t as often, but are far more memorable.

I’m explaining all of this because I think the ways I’ve been able to get my missing flash drive back speaks a lot about the University community.  My friends at other, larger schools have lost theirs, and once it’s gone, they accept it as gone for good. At Fontbonne, when I’ve left my flash drive behind in the past, here’s what’s happened:

1. I was in a lab and was called out into the hall to speak with two campus security officers. I freaked when I saw them, because I had no idea what they wanted with me! Then, one of the men opened his hand and offered me my flash drive. What a relief!!!

2. I got a call one night from an R.A. who’d found it in Medaille, and we figured out that he was friends with one of my friends, and he got it back to me through her.

3. One morning, I checked my Fontbonne email, and found a message from the Physical Plant telling me they’d found my flash drive and I could pick it up in the Student Affairs Office. I hadn’t even known it was missing!

4.  Twice, my friends found it and returned it to me.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the school’s small size has huge benefits when it comes to flash drive recovery. I don’t know about you, but I keep my life on my flash drives, and it means a lot to me that there are so many nice people who’ll stop and give someone her flash drive back. You’d think all these incidents would teach me to be less forgetful… but apparently they haven’t. I guess it’s just a good thing I’m at Fontbonne and I get my flash drives back all the time. Replacing my flash drive every two weeks because I lost the last one would get expensive!