Chivalry Isn’t Dead!

in Campus Community

So, I know that I’ve blogged a lot this week, but today something happened that was out of the ordinary: a guy let me go through the door first as I was entering Ryan Hall.  He was coming from the opposite way and had two or three people behind him waiting to get through the door as well.  I had already let a few people pass as I waited patiently, expecting to be the last person to make it through, considering I was the only person waiting there.  The crazy thing was that mere seconds later as I headed for the stairwell, another guy stopped on the steps to let me pass first.  I was baffled by the amount of courteousness I received in less than a minute.

I know that a lot of people would disagree with my claim that chivalry isn’t something we see very often these days, and I hope those people are right, but it’s not something I see very often. I think it’s a very interesting debate because women want to do things themselves and I understand that, but I also think everyone likes it when people (especially complete strangers) are nice to them. Here it is twelve or so hours after the mentioned courtesy, and I’m still a little taken aback by it.