OH NO! THERE’S A TORNADO! (…or not…)

This week has been a busy one, to put it lightly. On Monday morning, I had a lot of work on my plate and deadlines were looming over me. Now it’s Thursday, and I’ve gotten past the deadlines, but I have new stuff to finish. I guess that’s just college.

Later this afternoon/evening, I’m going over to Washington University. My mathematical modeling class is taking a field trip to hear a lecture by Ruth Charney on robotics and geometry. I have a feeling it will be both interesting and really complicated and confusing. I bet I’ll learn from it though.

On another, totally unrelated note, the tornado sirens went off today. When I first heard them, I was a little concerned. I frantically searched local news websites looking for weather reports, but none of the stations had anything on their pages about severe weather. Then it occurred to me: what if a tornado just popped out of NOWHERE and not even the weather people were expecting it!!! A huge, monstrous storm could be coming this way, wreaking all kinds of destruction!

As the sirens were going off, I continued checking the news stations’ websites for news of the storm. After another five minutes, I stumbled onto the National Weather Service’s page, and at the very top, there was a message that said something along the lines of: Statewide Storm Alert Drill Today at 1:30.

Needless to say, I was quite relieved by this news.

Apparently, it had been postponed from Tuesday because there had been actual severe weather in the state, and they didn’t want to confuse people. Despite the best efforts of the National Weather Service to prevent the mix-up of the test with the “real thing,” they sure got me!