Happy Vernal Equinox!

in In Saint Louis

Spring is in the air! And soon it will be official. March 20th is the Vernal Equinox, one of two days in the year in which daylight and nighttime are of equal length – this marks the calendar end of winter. So no matter what the weather is like after that, it will still be spring!

I really despise the cold of winter, so I’ve always sort of got a kick out of celebrating the Vernal Equinox. For me, this means a nice long walk though the woods by my house and a picnic full of organic fruits and veggies afterward. I’m hoping to see lots of little flowers poking their heads though the covering of dead leaves on the ground!

While you may not necessarily celebrate the Equinox, I encourage you to get out and appreciate nature this spring. Even just walking down Wydown Boulevard can be a breathtaking experience if you set out to make it one! But if you are really looking to be inspired by natural beauty, I would recommend a trip to the Missouri Botanical Garden. I just LOVE it there. (Full disclosure: I love it so much, I’m a member! But I’m not pushing a membership here, honest! Haha.) Anyway, the Botanical Garden is huge, and has a variety of mini gardens within it: a Chinese garden, an English Woodland garden, a vegetable garden, a Moroccan garden, and of course their world-famous Japanese garden! (Featuring an authentic rebuilt Japanese tea house!) Gosh, I wish I was there right now!

The weather may have started off yucky this week, but now things are beginning to turn around. Get out and enjoy it!

Here are some pictures of the Botanical Garden to pique your interest!

This is a bridge in the Japanese garden!

Here’s the “Climatron”, which is like having a huge rainforest inside a greenhouse!

Ahh… isn’t it lovely? 🙂