Why I Chose to Be a Griffin

in Academics,Campus Community,New & Future Students

I’m not going to lie – I was never all that excited about the whole college search process. I attended Notre Dame High School, a small, all girl, Catholic high school in Lemay, South St. Louis County. I loved everything about ND – the small class sizes, the student-teacher ratios and relationships, and the personable, welcoming atmosphere were everything that I wanted in a school. I loved ND so much that I didn’t even want to think about leaving.

Eventually, my parents pretty much made me start looking at schools. I knew that I wanted to commute to school to save money, so an out-of-town school such as Missouri State or SEMO was out of the question. Since I live in Oakville (which is about 20 miles south of the city of St. Louis), I thought that the everyday drive to UMSL and Lindenwood would be a bit long. So, my choices were narrowed yet again, this time to Saint Louis University, Webster University, and, of course, Fontbonne.

At that time, I was a junior in high school and was really beginning to consider what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Although I love theatre and Spanish, I knew that I didn’t want to make a career out of either of those fields. I did, however, become extremely interested in scientific research, in part due to two of my favorite ND teachers, Mrs. Bumb and Sister (Sis) Celine.

After looking at all three schools, Fontbonne just seemed to be the perfect fit. It’s in a great location, it’s small and inviting, and my professors know me one-on-one. The science department is amazing (the science building, AB Hall, has literally just completed its total renovation, complete with brand-new, state-of-the-art labs and equipment), and I still have opportunities to take part in theatre and take Spanish courses. Fontbonne just reminded me so much of Notre Dame, which is exactly what I wanted in a college.

So, that’s pretty much how I became a Griffin. If you think that you’d like a small school with big possibilities, check out Fontbonne. I assure you that you’ll love it just as much as I do.