A Trivial Journey

I’m not really sure what to write about, so I’ll go to one of my go-to favorite topics: trivia! Typically I rely on Wikipedia for my trivial pursuits, so I’ll start there.  I know, I know, many of your jaws just dropped, but this isn’t an academic paper.  It’s for fun, people!

Hmm… Let’s go to the holiday closest to today. Valentine’s Day! People generally have mixed feelings about it. Some call it the most commercialized holiday of the year. The amount of couple-y hype makes me a little green (both with envy and sickness). But what is the story behind Valentine’s Day (according to Wikipedia)?

Well for starters there were several saints with the name Valentine. Actually, it’s not known whether the day marks the feast of one saint named Valentine or many. Apparently Pope Paul VI took the religious observance out of the Roman calendar of saints in 1969. Who knew?

At the beginning of the early 19th century, “Valentines” started to be produced in factories in England. These were made with real lace and ribbons (no fold and stick themed cards here). And thus started the commercialization of the day. Since then jewelers, florists, candy makers, and greeting card companies have promoted Valentine’s Day for their business. If nothing else, the day is certainly a boost for the economy.

Maybe I sound cynical, but I really hope not. I am a promoter of Valentine’s Day. I think the message of telling people how you feel is great, but I think that should be extended to friends as well. As a perpetually single lady, I think all the couple nonsense should be set aside and Valentine’s Day should be seen for what it is: a day to love… everybody!