It All Started in the Cafeteria

in Academics,Campus Community

My story on how I came to Fontbonne is probably not unique, but it is very special and dear to me. It all started with my older sister. My sister has always been someone I looked up to and always made amazing things happen with the gifts God has given her. My sister had an opportunity to go back to school in her mid-twenties and her choice was nursing school. She attended Deaconess College of Nursing here in St. Louis. At that time Deaconess and Fontbonne had an agreement that the nursing students could come to the Fontbonne campus for their non-clinical classes. My sister fell in love with the campus and teachers. I was about fourteen when I first visited the campus with my sister. I still remember her bringing me to the cafeteria to sit and eat with her classmates as they discussed their studies. I thought it was so cool sitting in a college cafeteria with real college students. I allowed myself to daydream on what it would be like to be in college.

When I graduated high school I didn’t go straight into college I decided to work for a year or two. After being in the “Real World” for a couple of years, I decided that I needed something more. When I first told my sister about my decision she said that I should give Fontbonne a look, but I thought it just wasn’t right yet. I decided to enroll at one of the local community colleges to ease my way back into academic life, but because of my sister, Fontbonne was always there in the back of my mind. As time passed at the community college, I realized that I had put in enough of my time there and knew that it was time for me to move on to bigger and better things. Once again, the thought of my sister and of Fontbonne came back to the forefront of my mind. I was on campus at the community college one day and there was a representative from Fontbonne handing out information and talking to the students. I suddenly remembered that day years before when my sister took me to the cafeteria at Fontbonne. I walked up to the table and my journey to Fontbonne began.

Without my sister’s encouragement and insistence, I wouldn’t be where I am today. I have had an amazing time at Fontbonne. I have had amazing professors who fed me the knowledge that I yearned for, that saw something that I did not see in myself, and always encouraged me to do my best. I am very grateful to my sister for her love and encouragement throughout my life and grateful that she took me to that cafeteria so many years ago.