Number Crunching and The Real World

in Career Paths

May 21, 2011 is a date that looms over my head every hour of every day of this spring semester. It is only¬† 53 school days and roughly 120 hours of class away from this exact moment. That is it: the day of my graduation from Fontbonne University. I know that most of my peers look at that day as one of freedom, celebration, excitement, liberation from homework, but for me, it is a deadline. That is when I have to decide what I want to do with my life, where I want to live and how I’m going to support myself. And that is the day I will no longer be a student at Fontbonne and become an alumni. I’m incredibly proud of this change in title, because I am incredibly proud of my university, but all I want to scream is, “What am I going to do?!?”

Again, my crisis with my future plans doesn’t stem from the negative in my college experience. It is indeed the opposite. I am too inspired by all the amazing, interesting ideas, jobs, and markets that I’ve been exposed to to choose between all of them. As a prospective grad student or young professional, Fontbonne groomed to be a perfect candidate: tons (and tons) of student involvement from student government to service to professional development, a great internship, a great academic background and a community of helpful and guiding faculty and staff. But, there’s one drawback, I don’t want to leave!

They can’t make me. I love my school so much that it is breaking my heart to let it go. I feel like I’m losing the love of my life and the place I call home all at once. All the mentors of campus (I have ten, because everyone is just so amazing), keep telling me that I’m going to go so far and am so prepared, which is encouraging. I just can’t decide which wonderful or exciting place to go first.

First and foremost, FBU instilled in me a love of service and a longing to serve those who haven’t been as fortunate¬† as I have. From that, I am looking in jobs in non-profit or possible a stint in Americorps. Second, the Communication department (my degree program) has opened so many opportunities for me to get work in my field, I know I would love any job I could get. And third, all my extracurriculars have shown me what I think may be my “real passion:” Higher Education. I am obsessed with the workings of a college from the academics to student affairs to athletics to administration. I want to learn and work with it all.

So, here I am with a deadline and an array of enticing options to decided between before d-day: Saturday, May 21 at 2 p.m. This is where I have to look away from the numbers, away from Fontbonne and into myself. I have to find what will make me happy. I know college has definitely provided me the tools as both a student and a future alumni to do that. I will be a very happy Fontbonne graduate.