Back in Full Swing

in Academics,Career Paths

It’s the end of week 2, and… wow. We’re already back in full swing.

This shouldn’t be surprising, when you think about it. There’s only 16 weeks or so per Fontbonne semester, so we don’t have a whole lot of time to spare. But even so, I feel like there’s usually a slow acceleration into the semester. Maybe that’s true – in the fall. But not in spring! Not this spring, anyway.

So I’m already reading plenty for all my classes. I’m already opening up Word to type up assignments. Really, that’s not a bad thing… I just hope this quick acceleration doesn’t burn me out too fast!

Of my courses this semester, the true stand-out is SOC460: Sociology Internship I. This one is interesting because the entire point of it is to find an internship for the summer, which will then count as Sociology Internship II. On top of that, there are some writing requirements as I begin a paper that will serve as the capstone paper for my Applied Sociology degree… but that seems to be more of a secondary focus.

Right now, I’m looking at a bunch of different places for this internship. All advertising agencies, of course – some in Rochester, NY (my hometown), some in St. Louis, some in Chicago, and some in Atlanta. Right now I’ve got an interview lined up for next week with an agency in Rochester. The crazy part? It’s going to take place over Skype! I’m a bit nervous because I’ve never done an interview over Skype, but I know I’m totally qualified, so I’m not too stressed about it.

It’s only week 2, and so much is happening… how wild. I guess we’ll see what internship I end up with as the semester progresses!