Carly

Tell Me What’s Your Favorite Color.

by Carly on February 21, 2011

My first blog! I’m so excited, but nervous at the same time. I can’t tell you how many times I have written and rewritten this entry; first impressions are everything, and if I come across as being really weird in my very first post, then you’ll probably never read my blog again.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Carly, and I’m a freshman here at Fontbonne University. To my friend Jessica, I’m Car-Laaay, to Dr. Sommer, I’m the girl who never had coffee prior to starting college (ask him about me sometime. I’m sure he’ll be delighted to tell you about me, since he tells that story to everyone.) I’m from a small town south of here called Farmington, which is complete with a Water Park where I save lives as a summer job. I am currently a dietetics major, but I plan to get my doctorate in physical therapy (NYU…my dream school). As impossible as it may sound, I really want to be both a registered dietician and a PT with my own private practice, because I can’t decide which one I’d rather do.

My love of the human body and healthy eating both developed out of my passion for ballet. Back in Farmington, I took classes four days a week, was a teaching assistant, practiced on my own at home, and even got to dance the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in my school’s production of “The Nutcracker” when I was a junior. Ballet was my life! Once I got into college and started taking classes at a really tough school here in St. Louis, I started to burn out fast. Dancing at a pre-professional school with a bunch of skinny, super-talented twelve-year-olds who gasp when you tell them you’re in college is quite different than dancing in Farmington; needless to say, dancing in Farmington was fun and my teacher made it so…magical. But that’s not what I was experiencing last semester at all. So…I’m currently taking time to nurse an injured foot and reevaluate my priorities. Once I do put back on pointe shoes, though, it will be for myself and nothing else (and at a different school)!

Aside from ballet, I love music and fashion. Since I no longer dedicate myself exclusively to dance, I’ve been doing a lot of self-discovering with my personal style. I love reading fashion blogs and magazines and spending my lifeguarding money on clothes and accessories and shoes. Music has become such a huge deal to me as well. I’m really into the indie genre, and I love classical music, too. My favorite band and my favorite song often change on a weekly basis. Currently, I cannot stop listening to “Boy” by Ra Ra Riot. Proof that my favorites change frequently: my first draft of this blog said that my favorite song was something completely different, and that draft was written yesterday. Ha!

My other random interests/passions/obsessions include: New York City (where I want to live someday!), public transportation (subways, taxis, and buses. I have no idea why, but these things make me happy.), healthy food, running, bicycle riding, the color purple, subway maps (I think I shall start collecting them.), writing, cities, chemistry (I used to HATE it.), going to concerts (Okay, I’ve been to two. But they were so enjoyable.), going to Chill to get frozen yogurt with my friends, shoes, my dogs, Europe (I want to go there so badly!), magazines (NYLON, Teen Vogue, and the various dance magazines I get), wearing outfits that make me stand out, people watching.

I hope this first entry made you think, “Wow. She sounds like such an interesting individual. I wish I was her friend.” If not, maybe you should go talk to Dr. Sommer about me. I bet he could convince you to think otherwise with his coffee story.

Have a great week and thanks for reading! Please comment, comment, comment below!                                                                               -Carly

P.S. I want to try to use song lyrics for all of my blog titles, an idea I’m stealing from a Polish fashion blogger I follow. I hope she doesn’t mind…This entry is from “Favorite Colour” by Tokyo Police Club. They played in St. Louis just the other week (Sadly, I missed it)! The video to my favorite song at the moment is off to the right for some reason. I am still trying to figure out how to post videos and place them at the end of my entry…hopefully I get it down soon!

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

lindsey February 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Wow! it sounds like you have a lovely life :) i hope college is going good! :)

Erica February 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm

“Wow. She sounds like such an interesting individual. I wish I was her friend.”
That’s actually what I was thinking. :)

Jessica March 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Car-Laaaay!! My favorite color is purple. (In response to your title.) This is a great blog!