Have an Eco-friendly Valentine’s Day!!

in Organizations, Activities & Events

By the time anyone reads this, most of the Valentine’s Day festivities will be over. However, I still wanted to talk a bit about last Thursday’s RHA/FAB sponsored Valentine’s Dinner and about having an environmentally friendly holiday. The dinner was a great time for everyone involved, but I was extra excited because the Environmental Club had a little table set up to spread the good word. It was a bit hectic getting set up, but by the time the evening was in full swing we had a nice corner to ourselves. I wanted to promote sending e-cards instead of paper ones, so we borrowed two laptops from IT for people to send e-cards from the World Wildlife Fund website. (So cute! If you like animals, send an e-card from their website. They offer more than Valentine cards, too, and they won’t spam you, I promise!) Quite a few people stopped by! I also had a prize pack to give away – 3 organic Fair Trade chocolate bars and a Fair Trade chocolate hazelnut spread. Yum!! To round out my table, I also wrote up a list of ways to be green for Valentine’s Day. Here it is!!

• Send E-cards, or cards made from recycled paper~
  • Make your own cards from materials you already have~
  • Look for organic flowers, or even a potted plant~
  • Buy organic and/or Fair Trade Chocolate~
  • Eat out at a local, sustainable restaurant~
  • Go for naturally scented perfumes and lotions~
  • Show the planet some love!!

So although it might be too late to put these in action for Valentine’s Day 2011, there are plenty of things that can be adapted to any time. (Because who eats chocolate just on February 14?) Anyway, regardless of what day it is…keep spreading the green love!! 🙂