Hello readers and fans!  It has been a hectic week, and I haven’t had much time to write my blog.  But, there is something that has been on mind of late.  Yeah, it is on a more serious note, but bear with me.  A return to humor is inevitable….well, at least likely… :)

Sometimes during the hustle and bustle of the semester - all the papers that are due, the many exams and quizzes thrown at me by various professors (special shout out to anatomy and physiology here!!), all the various labs (from preparing cultures of microorganisms to making ice cream…uh, yes, those are two separate classes!) - it is easy to forget why I’m doing all of this in the first place.  I am a member of SHESA (the Student Human Environmental Sciences Association), and I attended SHESA’s monthly meeting this week which helped to remind me.

One of the many topics discussed at the meeting was how SHESA will promote Denim Day this year.  Denim Day is a day at the end of April during which SHESA will work to raise awareness regarding some of the misconceptions surrounding sexual assault.  SHESA  is busy figuring out what kinds of activities to promote, what speakers it can bring to campus and what charities it can help support in furthering awareness of Denim Day’s issues.

One of the reasons I chose to pursue dietetics is that I am interested in promoting wellness, not just treating disease.  For me, wellness requires a holistic approach to one’s life.  It means including  alternative therapies, physical health, mental health, a person’s sense of well-being, and the health of an individual’s family and community in assessing and managing an individual’s wellness.  Participating in creating events like Denim Day give me the opportunity to put my philosophies into practice.  I am grateful to have the opportunity to step away from the books, the labs and even the ice cream to be reminded of the larger picture. 

Stay tuned for more details on Denim Day!!!