Second Semester Starts Off Swimmingly!

by Alumni Posts on January 21, 2011

in Academics,Campus Community

What’s a better way to ring in the second semester than having a three-day week? The academic year officially resumed on Tuesday (after a 35-day Christmas break, mind you) and then we had a snow day on Thursday! It may seem like I didn’t have the opportunity to fit any actual learning into this week, but fortunately, my schedule works out so that I was able to make the most of the few days I went to school, and I’ve sampled all the classes I’ll be taking this semester.

Judging from Tuesday and Wednesday, it seems like I’ll be in some pretty cool classes for Spring 2011. The class that is the most exciting for me is an Honors class called “The Bosnian Immigration” that’s going to examine the war that took place in the Balkans during the 1990s, and the subsequent immigration of Bosnians to Saint Louis. I’m also taking two math classes – Calculus III and Mathematical Modeling, both of which seem fairly difficult but I think they’ll be rewarding!

One neat thing I’ve noticed about Fontbonne is that, in my experience, if a student has the ability to succeed in an upper-level course, she’s allowed to take the class, regardless of her age or year in school! I’ll give you an example of this, but first, in case you don’t know the hierarchy of college classes, I’ll give you a quick explanation: In college, the courses students take are assigned identification numbers that describe the difficulty of the coursework. Entry-level courses are usually 100-level classes, classes that require some prerequisites and are more difficult are 200- or 300-level classes, and the classes that seniors usually take are 400-level classes. In my case, even though I’m only a freshman, this semester I’m taking one 100-level class, two 200-level classes, a 300-level class, and one 400-level class! It’s awesome that there’s so little “red tape” at Fontbonne. For me, this means I’m able to take the classes I want and the ones I’m interested in right away!

It’s nice to be back at Fontbonne again. Eating lunch with my friends, meeting new people in my classes, and being busy with school again is pretty exciting after being gone from it all for so long!

(I just hope my enthusiasm remains with me this semester…I suspect it will soon wear off!)