Erica

A Weekend at MACURH 2010

by Erica on November 16, 2010

in Extracurricular,Organizations, Activities & Events

I can’t help but put in a shameless plug here and there about organizations/events that I am a part of; I just get excited about them. I was recently with RHA (Residence Hall Association) at a conference called MACURH, which stands for the Midwest Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls. I didn’t know what to expect, since this was my first time attending it, and I hope it won’t be my last. All I knew was that I would be getting together with a bunch of other schools who are a part of MACURH to talk about the different programs and activities that go on at our respective schools. Little did I know that it would be much more than that. It was one of those times that has to be experienced in order to understand it. The theme of the conference was “Come On Down!” playing off of the game show called “The Price Is Right,” so the theme was evident throughout the conference. There was an energy there that I absolutely loved. The people there were so welcoming. I want to say that there were around a little over forty schools in attendance, so it was a spirited atmosphere. Schools even competed for “spirit points” and could earn them by getting involved throughout the conference.

MACURH was a great opportunity for people to collaborate and network with other schools. For example, I got to meet people from schools like North Dakota State University and Creighton University all the way in Omaha, Nebraska. It was such a learning experience for me and got me motivated to go back to school and make Fontbonne’s RHA even better! As RHA’s current President and Programming Communications Coordinator, I am looking forward to use this energy from the weekend to go full force with RHA this year. Look out, Fontbonne, because here we come!

Not only was the experience great, but our RHA even won an award for the “Best Small School Passive Program.” I was so excited to hold the award.

There is so much I could say about MACURH, so if you’d like to learn more, just get a hold of me and I’d be more than happy to tell you more about the experience and how you can get involved. I encourage those who want to become better leaders and want to be more active in the Fontbonne community to attend conferences like MACURH, because you never know what might come out of it.

Peace, Love, and Bob Barker.