Online Classes – Can You Handle It?

Welcome to my first post all of you bloggers in the blogosphere. It has taken me a while to make this first post because, as you can read in the title, I’ve been a little busy. I teach Technology to students in grades K-8 full time and take care of all of the Technology needs of my school. So basically, I have two full time jobs in one. Genius me, thought it would be smart to take two classes this Fall in order to graduate in the Spring. Well, needless to say I’ve been very busy.

So you think online classes are easy? You think you can handle them? I’m here to set you straight! Online classes are challenging, even more so than face-to-face classes. But wait, they aren’t always bad! They have good things about them, too. You can go to class in your pajamas. you can go to class, for the most part, when you want. You can use a bunch of Web 2.0 tools while taking these classes.

If you’re worried about taking these types of classes, don’t be. Here are some tips that will help you be successful in your online courses:

1) Read carefully  – sometimes if you skim over you miss a big part of the assignment.

2) Communication – your only way to ask questions or clarify anything is via email, chart, blog, etc. So be diligent if you don’t understand something.

3) Prepare – make sure you prepare yourself  by going through the course tools and materials ahead of time.

4) The 3 P’s – Be persistent and don’t give up, be patient because not everything works all of the time, and participate because this is the only way you will truly learn and be successful.

So what do you think? Think you’re ready for it? Dr. Abkemeier, Program Director for Math and Computer Science,  is one of the best people to get you started. She knows all the ins and outs and can help you decide if online courses are for you.