Hanging from the Roof

Okay, I know it’s a weird title, but just read on to find out what I’m talking about…

Being a “Theatre Person,” I’ve always wanted to learn about all aspects of the standard theatrical performance. In high school and in various other circumstances, I’ve been privileged to learn about acting, props, scenic design, spotlight, and some makeup application. However, I never really learned how to hang, focus, and run lights.

On Thursday and Friday, I went into Fontbonne’s blackbox theater. I asked Bess, the scenic designer who runs the technical side of Fontbonne theatre, if I could help focus lights; however, I thought I’d end up just picking out gels (the colored plastics that go into the light fixtures to make the lights different colors). I was shocked when I walked in and Bess said, “Okay, Court, go find yourself a wrench with a cord, clip it on yourself, and climb up to the grid! You’re gonna focus some lights for me!”

Lucky for me, Phil was up on the grid (the walkovers) and he could help me while Bess dictated what she wanted done. I was surprised that lighting fixtures are so complex – there are about five different functions that need to be performed while focusing every light.

I guess I did well for my first time. But, if you go to see Fontbonne Theatre’s production of “Twelfth Night” opening in less than two weeks, and if a light happens to be positioned in the totally wrong direction, just remember that I didn’t do it.