Why did you choose Fontbonne?

in New & Future Students

I am so excited to be a part of “Real Life at Fontbonne.”  As a non-traditional student, I don’t get to campus on a regular basis, but when I do, I am welcomed by other students, faculty and staff.  Everyone is exceptionally helpful in guiding you around the campus, or answering questions about… hours of operation of the library or bookstore.

I am a non-traditional student.  What does that mean?  It means, basically that I waited to further my education instead of pursuing it directly after high school.  I went straight into the workforce at the age of 18; I have worked in an office ever since, have gotten married and have children of my own. 

What have I learned?  I learned that trying to climb the corporate ladder without a degree is almost impossible!  Year after year and performance reviews one year after another, I found the move to management never came.  Oh, the opportunity was there, and I jumped on it! To no avail, someone with a degree or more experience was always chosen for each job.  It wasn’t because I was not a good worker either. I always received high performance scores on my employer reviews and was willing to put in the hours if the job demanded that. However, it just wasn’t enough to move me up the ladder.  I have learned that you must be able to understand the accounting part of business; in order to succeed, you also have to know about the complications involved and how to troubleshoot within a management position.  You have to know about the structure and flow of business. You must understand the politics involved with management.  These things come in each class you take here at Fontbonne.   After the years I’ve spent in every aspect of business that I have, I can honestly say that I learned more, and understand more, about business since completing my BBA at Fontbonne. I have learned that a good education can move mountains in the business world.

Personally, I came to Fontbonne because of the flexibility in schedule.  As a wife and mother, my schedule is already hectic.  I completed my BBA through the OPTIONS program and am now working on my graduate degree.  I came back to Fontbonne because of the community-feel, the family-feel, the individual attention of a small university.  I am honored to be a part of the Alumni as well as a current student.

Now that I have shared with you, I have two questions for you to answer:  1) If you’re a traditional student, why did you choose to attend school directly after high school? and, 2) Why did you choose Fontbonne?

I can’t wait to see your responses and to blog with you again very soon!