AACS Presentation and Looking Forward

in Academics,Extracurricular,In Saint Louis,Organizations, Activities & Events

So this past weekend, I was involved with the AACS Conference, which was hosted at the Ritz Carlton (my god is that a fancy place!) this year in St. Louis. The AACS is the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology. As an Applied Sociology major, I was strongly encouraged to attend… and I’m glad I did!

Not only did I meet a lot of fascinating people and see a lot of fascinating presentations, but I also was invited to present a paper I had been working on (see my last entry for details on that). Long story short… my paper presentation went for 75 minutes, and I totally rocked it. I won the student paper competition! Not only that, but I met the authors of my textbook from SOC215: Intro to Applied Sociology. One of them (Jammie Price) invited me to submit my paper for potential publication! Unbelievable – to think I could be published in an academic journal as an undergraduate?!

The conference was so successful for me, and I owe so much to Dr. Stoelting and Dr. Phelps for helping me do so well. I’m still a little in disbelief about it all…

But! Now that it’s all over, life will (hopefully) calm down a bit. There’s all kinds of exciting things on the horizon, though – like my birthday, Halloween, and advising week! I’ll just have to roll with it as it comes!