AACS Conference

in Academics,Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

So last fall, I took SOC215: Intro to Applied Sociology. It was definitely an interesting class, since Applied Sociology is my second major and all, and the course was taught by Dr. Suzanne Stoelting – my favorite professor at Fontbonne and the professor of the year for last year. Anyway, I started working on this paper in that class as an assignment… and Dr. Stoelting really liked the direction I was taking the paper in. So I continued working on that same paper next semester, developing it through an independent study course (which was classified as SOC490 or something like that). I spent the entire semester planning out how I would gather information about other Applied Sociology programs, and then executing that research plan. The results were fascinating… so I was able to complete the paper.

Then Dr. Stoelting introduces this idea to me: Why don’t I present my paper at the AACS (Association of Applied and Clinical Sociology) Conference next fall, since it’ll be hosted here in St. Louis?

Oh god. That means I’d basically be presenting my paper to qualified professionals, including many of the people I cited in my paper. That’s terrifying.

So of course I accepted the opportunity. And that’s really what it is – an awesome, albeit terrifying, opportunity.

And now… now the conference is here. This weekend, I’ll be presenting my paper to I-don’t-know-how-many Sociologists from around the nation. It’s a stressful thought, but I’ll feel so relieved after this is over!

On that note, I’m going to get back to work on my PowerPoint presentation… wish me luck!