A Major Decision

in Academics,Career Paths

Choosing a major is a very difficult action for college students. Many students change their major several times during school. However, I have always wanted to study biology. Biology is simply the study of life. How can people not be interested in life?

I chose to be a biology major for several reasons. First, I have always wanted to become a medical doctor in order to care for the sick and suffering of the world. Ever since I can remember, I have felt deep empathy for people less fortunate than me and have wanted to make a difference. Second, biology is a great major because it keeps my options open to other fields. I have the opportunity to pursue jobs in dentistry, botany, and biotechnology if I change my decision about wanting to become a doctor. Third, biology and the complexity of life never ceases to fascinate me. I enjoy learning about how the human body functions as well as the concept of evolution and the relationships between organisms.

When I was younger, I began studying different animals and learned to love them. Consequently, becoming a veterinarian or a zoologist is also a possibility for me in the future. I enjoy going to the zoo and doing whatever else I can to show support for the animals of the world. In the future, I see myself traveling to poor countries and exotic places to help the sick and suffering. Doctors Without Borders is definitely an organization that I am interested in joining. Finally, a minor reason I chose biology as a major was because I love challenges. Biology is one of the most difficult majors to undertake in college, and it has challenged me in ways I never foresaw. The road will be long, but I will make it through. I will be successful because of my education, and I will make a difference in the world. I will not be a wealthy man materially but spiritually because I will use my knowledge to help those in need.