What do you do when you don’t have any rubber bands?

in Academics,Campus Community,Extracurricular

Fortinbras is a go.  We had our first stumble through, and nothing drastic happened.  The performing arts department is producing a hilarious play about the truth of what really happened after Hamlet died.  It’s being directed by Deanna Jent.  She is the director of Fontbonne Theatre as well as the artistic director of our professional company, Mustard Seed.  Deanna is a really cool lady.   She’s an excellent director.  She’s been nominated about six times for a Kevin Kline award for best director (that’s St. Louis’s professional theatre award, sort of like the Tony’s are in NY).  And a lot of shows she directs are nominated for other things, like best ensemble acting, or best production.  And she was selected as the Scholar/Artist of Fontbonne for 2010-2011.

I see Deanna as much more than a director.  She’s the most understanding professor I’ve ever met.  That’s not saying she’s an easy grader, it just makes me want to attempt beyond my best.  Many students are intimidated when they first meet her.  That’s understandable, ’cause she’s pretty awesome.   Kind of like the I’m-scared-of-that-person-because-part-of-me-really-wants-to-be-like-them-but-I’m-afraid-I-never-can-be thing.  No worries, Deanna sees your potential.

Deanna gets you outside of the “institution” box.  There’s so much more out there than your grade.  There’s compassion, there’s social justice, there’s understanding, there’s faith, there’s…other people.  Deanna is a great teacher.  I love her classes.  I love working with her.  She’s just all around…cool.  I want to be able to teach like she does.  I want to be able to tell the world “hey, this is a something we need to work on” like she does.  One show at a time.

So, don’t have any rubber bands?  Find a plastic orchestra.

Remember, I’m pulling for you.  We’re all in this together.