Andrew- Pretend Excitement, True Fear

by Fontbonne University on September 1, 2009

I’m delirious with joy. I mean, out-of-control happy. I don’t even know how to describe this. fontbonne andrewWhy, you might ask? It’s certainly not because I’m taking 6 classes, 18 hours, plus working in an on-campus internship that requires another 5 hours of office-time plus whatever else I need to do outside of office time. It’s that, after looking at my schedule for the next five semesters, I realized I will never have to take 18 hours again. Not even that, but for my senior semesters, I should only need 12 hours each. I can’t even begin to describe how excited this gets me.
The reason I figured this all out is because, as I alluded to earlier, I am super super stressed out from all the classes I’m taking this semester. I can’t pretend like I’m really looking forward to any of them at any time. It’s not that the classes are bad, in any way… I have fantastic professors, a Fontbonne norm, and I enjoy each class while I’m there, for the most part. It’s just that each class means I’m going to walk away with homework, and that gets old, fast. But, this is college, so I guess it’s time to buck up…
 It’s difficult to say which of my classes is the most interesting. My Intro to Advertising class is, of course, fascinating to me because Advertising is what I’m planning for my career-future. But I think my Mass Media class is equally interesting, if not more so, because it focuses—at least, so far—less on history and more on discuss contemporary issues (in what other class will you write a critical analysis on Lady Gaga?) And speaking of contemporary issues, Contemporary Moral Issues is an interesting class, too—as a philosophy course, it’s interesting to learn about all these different points of view and how they apply to modern problems. But then, when it comes to modern problems, what could be more interesting that Applied Sociology? Intro to Applied Sociology is fascinating as well, and so far I’m really enjoying it, which is good, since it’s my second major! Social Theory, a different course in the same field with the same professor, is likewise fascinating for all the critical thinking it involves. … And then, not really related to any of those in format or style is Graphic Design, which is interesting just in principle as an art-based class!
I think the most interesting part of all of this is how Graphic Design, Mass Media, and Intro to Advertising are all required for Advertising majors. As a result, all three classes have the same core group of students, meaning I regularly get to see people who have the same (yet surprisingly differing!) interests as me. I’m glad to have familiar faces in my classes, you know?
 Well, I’ve got to run—I have to get over to Kinko’s to pick up some posters as a part of my internship! It’s been a crazy semester so far, and we’re only a few weeks in!

What classes would interest you? Check out the Course Catalog for more information.