Andrew- Never Left At All

by Fontbonne University on August 25, 2009

It’s pretty wild to be back here on campus again already. Ever since all the returning studfontbonne andrewents have… well, returned, I’ve had the strangest feeling of familiarity about Fontbonne, as if I never left at all. Which is nonsense, really, because I could easily go into the things I did this summer; I could talk about my trip to Santa Monica, California, where I visited an old friend and—believe it or not—actually ran into another Fontbonne students (it was easily one of the weirdest coincidences ever) or how I went to Oregon for a while and lived a hippy life-style with hippies, learning valuable life lessons (such as the value of life, nature, and that I never want to live in a house that uses a well for its water supply). I could talk about the concert I played bass in along with my dad, who played sax and free-styled lyrics, or about the various parks I hiked about throughout the summer’s duration.
And yet, no matter how much I talked about such things, I don’t believe I could shake the feeling that I’ve been here at Fontbonne the whole time. Not that this is a bad thing. On the one hand, perhaps it’s strange to feel as though Fontbonne has become the entirety of my reality, has shaped my mind and altered my expectations, has replaced the life I led in a smaller city some 800 miles away. And yet, with the warm welcomes I’ve received, the pleasant reunions I’ve had, and the familiar routines I’ve resumed, it would be difficult to say this ‘frame-shift’ is in any way bad.
So now, as we resume our classes and I take on a greater workload than ever before, I do so in a much different context than before. Though I may face more stress than I had previously, between my 18 hours of classes and my on-campus internship through Fontbonne’s Activity Board, I do so as an individual in a comfortable, familiar environment. No longer do I feel a need to familiarize myself with my surroundings, as I did freshman year; now, I have simply come home.
… Except housework usually isn’t so demanding!

Become part of the Fontbonne reality. Apply today!