Mary Alice- Learned How To Help Others

by Fontbonne University on January 29, 2009

fontbonnemaryaliceOver my Christmas Break, I had a lot of fun when I went home.  It was a lot of fun catching up with friends and spending time with my family.  My favorite part of my winter break was going to Biloxi, Mississippi with Fontbonne.  There was a group of about 20 students who went down to Biloxi the week before school started.  While we were in Biloxi we helped the hurricane Katrina victims.
On this trip, we did a lot of work around the city.  We cleaned up an older couple’s yard, painted houses, built a fence, insulated houses, and much more.  While on this trip I not only learned a lot about Hurricane Katrina but I became friends with a lot of people that I didn’t know and I became closer to the people that I already knew.
In the mornings, we would get up and eat breakfast and our groups would split up to go to different worksites.   Once we were at the worksites, we would get directions on what we were to complete that day.  Like I said before, some examples of what we did was insulate houses, clean up a yard, painting houses, building fences, and we tore down the Salvation Army’s temporary building.  There were a few days where we did tedious jobs such as pull nails out of boards and take insulation out of the temporary building keeping it in tact for reuse.  Doing these things may not have seemed like we were making a difference but we were saving a lot of money for these charities and a lot of time.
Once we had finished our projects for the day, we would come back to the church we were staying at and we had a “home crew” that stayed back and fixed dinner for us.  We would eat together as a group and discuss the things we did that day and what we learned.  After dinner, we had free time to watch a movie, play games, or just hang out.  On our last day in Biloxi, we got to go to New Orleans.  We went to New Orleans not only for dinner but also to see the destruction and how the city has been rebuilt.  New Orleans was a lot of fun.  I got to go to Bourbon Street for the first time and boy was it shocking.  It was very interesting to see all the different types of people in New Orleans.  I thoroughly enjoyed my winter break and going to Biloxi and New Orleans just made it that much better.

Interested in getting involved with FISH? Check them out online!