Krista- Found Her Future Over Break

by Fontbonne University on January 27, 2009

FontbonneKrista

In a lot of ways, this Christmas break was pretty typical. I worked, I did lots of Christmas shopping, and I hung out with friends who were home for the holidays. I enjoyed spending time at home with my family, and going out for New Year’s Eve, and just having some time to relax.

But one can never relax when something is worrying them, nagging from the back of their mind. And that’s sort of how I was. I’m all set to graduate in May, see, with my English degree (along with a concentration in journalism and minor in religious studies). I’ve always “known” that I wanted to work in the field of journalism…I’ve got this degree and four years of Fontbanner under my belt (not to mention a sweet internship at two international magazines). But over last semester, and more prominently over break, I felt a pull to change up my plans…and pursue teaching. Great timing, right? One semester to go and I’ve got to start from scratch. Plus, I didn’t know how I would swing it financially–earning that certification was going to cost me a lot more time AND money.

In early January, I attended the Governor’s Student Leadership Forum on Faith and Values, and through that, God opened a couple of doors for me. There, I met a woman who did a program for Teach for America (if you don’t know what that is, check out their website). So, I began my application process for that (wish me luck and/or keep me in your prayers!). I also discovered that our very own Fontbonne has a master’s program specifically for people like me–people who want to pursue teaching but who did not study education in undergrad schooling.

Finally, the puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place and I have a great sense of peace in my heart. I know that I will be able to teach, one way or another, and that God will provide a way for me to do what He wants me to do, and what I have the desire to do.

So…what did I do over winter break? I found my future!

Find your future at Fontbonne! Apply today!