Andrew- A Bittersweet Break

by Fontbonne University on January 29, 2009

Christmas break was a bittersweet time for me. It was, of course, wonderful to return to New York for a fontbonneandrewwhile and visit with my high school friends and hang out at old, familiar location. Though many of us had changed in one way or another through college, we found that we were still the same group together, and such a realization—that our friendship could continue no matter what the future held for us—strikes the exact type of warm emotions meant for the holidays. I’d like to point out that I returned home December 5th; though exams continued until the 13th, all of my teachers were able to help me reschedule so that I could take my exams as rapidly as possible, enabling me to beat holiday travelers to the airport. That alone, the student-teacher relationship at Fontbonne, continues to amaze me.

As I said, my break was bittersweet; for though I had a fantastic vacation off of school, I began to miss Fontbonne and St. Louis before too long had passed. I soon found myself wanting to go see if friends I had made here wanted to go hang out, only to realize that—oh wait, they live 800 miles away. And then, of course, when it was time for me to return, I was sad to part with my friends and family in New York, though eager to return to Fontbonne and my friends in St. Louis. It’s fascinating, really. Though I say I returned home for Winter break, I found myself saying I had returned home after winter break, as well. To get back to my dorm room and to my campus, which over the course of a single semester has become so familiar, was such a comforting feeling. I now deal with having two identities; it’s almost as if I’ve come to lead two different lives altogether, set in different worlds, with different faces, with different places (and with very different weather!)

But I did not spend all of my time in New York during break! Aside from realizing the duality of my reality (and please, don’t take that concept too seriously now!), I also made a trip down to Florida in early December. I and my best friend from New York drove my grandparents’ car down to them (they migrate between Erie, PA and West Palm Beach, FL); we drove straight through, to what amounted to about a 22-hour drive—and that’s not counting stops. Then, as winter break came to a close and it was time for me to start thinking about returning to St. Louis, I first flew out to Chicago for a few days, where I met up with my mom’s side of the (Irish Roman Catholic and therefore huge) family. I hadn’t seen them all in a year or two, and so it was delightful to see my little cousins and how they weren’t so little anymore. I also swung by the University of Chicago to visit a friend (who was already in school again, as UofC runs on trimesters). Once that was all said and done, I flew back in to Lambert International, then rode the Metro back to Fontbonne, home sweet home.

If you’re wondering about my New Year’s Resolution? It’s to love more, and love unconditionally. Peace be with you.

Come to call Fontbonne your future Home Sweet Home! Apply today!