fontbonneuniversity

Mary- Opportunity's More Than A Word

by fontbonneuniversity on November 6, 2008

in Athletics,Organizations, Activities & Events,Our Causes

fontbonnemaryHmmm…what’s my favorite thing about Fontbonne? I have about a million answers to this question, but I think they can all be summarized in one word: opportunities. I would have never in my wildest dreams thought that I would have so many amazing opportunities at Fontbonne. Because of the close-knit community here and the number of faculty and staff who’s number one priority are the students, I’ve learned and grown in more ways than I could have ever imagined. 

From week one of my freshmen year I was introduced to so many things that have grabbed my attention and gotten me involved. I went to an interest meeting and before I knew it I was a starting defender on the first ever NCAA Women’s Lacrosse team in the state! I had never even touched a lacrosse stick, and here I was traveling all over the country playing teams that had been established for years. Speaking of travel, my freshmen year took me to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas for lacrosse, and down to Georgia and Mississippi for service trips through FISH, rebuilding houses from Hurricane Katrina and building relationships with the people of that community. All of the sudden my freshmen year was over and I was honored with the Outstanding Freshmen Leadership award by SGA at the annual awards banquet, something that I never expected, but was an incredible honor.

Before I knew it, it was my sophomore year I was the service trip coordinator for FISH, planning trips and recruiting people to go on three different and successful trips. That year took me to Tijuana, Mexico as well as Biloxi once again. I led a team of dancers at the St. Louis Area Dance Marathon held at Washington University every year, which raises money for Children’s Miracle Network. After the amazing event that I experienced, I decided to apply to be a part of the Executive Board at Wash U and was chosen as the first ever student from outside of their university to be a part of all of the planning. That event took place two weekends ago and the whole process and the skills I attained on the board will last forever. My sophomore year also took me to Rome on Easter Sunday with Campus Ministry, a once in a lifetime experience that I will remember forever. This year I’ve been leading FISH as President and overseeing the awesome events that we’ve been having and am also in the process of starting to plan Freshmen Orientation 2009. From leading retreats and having fun on campus, to teaching my very first lesson as an education major by my sophomore year, Fontbonne has provided me with more than I could have ever imagined, and I still have a while to go before I leave.

As simple as the word “opportunity” is, Fontbonne has been anything but a regular college experience for me because of the opportunities that I have been provided with. I’ll carry the skills and memories I’ve made from these opportunities with me forever….they’re all my favorite.

What opportunities can Fontbonne offer you? Apply today!