Andrew- Dedicated Semester Is Right Up His Alley

by Fontbonne University on November 24, 2008

fontbonneandrew Four years ago, as a freshman in high school rather than in college, I decided to join Model United Nations because I thought it would look good for college applications. I ended up loving MUN and the people in it, as well as becoming very aware of the issues around the world. So when I received news over the summer about Fontbonne’s Dedicated Semester topic being set to the UN’s goals for the world by 2015, I was glad to know I’d be participating in something right up my alley of experience.

Naturally, I attended these Dedicated Semester activities, and though some of my peers didn’t seem to care for these events that much, I enjoyed them. I found I was able to ask insightful questions at the events and walk away with new information that meant something to me. Soon, I had more passport stamps than anyone I knew—and with those stamps came the opportunity to win a trip to Ireland over Spring Break! If you look at Fontbonne’s calendar, Spring Break happens to be located on the week of, believe it or not, St. Patrick’s Day. St. Patty’s Day in Ireland?! Yes please! Supposedly, I’ll find out if I’m in the finalist entry for that tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I will be… and here’s why:

Prior to the concluding Dedicated Semester event, I was approached by Dr. Randy Rosenberg in the DSAC Caf’ while getting dinner. He began a conversation by explaining how he was to host the final event, and that at this point I had actually been to more of these events than he had. He then stunned me by asking if I would speak at the last event! I couldn’t say no, even though the idea scared me a bit. I did end up giving that presentation—so well, apparently, that I was asked to give it again at the second event that day (since, as you may or may not know, there are two sessions of each of the main events). I think it’s safe to assume that after this, I have a pretty healthy shot at that trip to Ireland. But hey, only time will tell.

What is the dedicated semester? Want more information? Check it out online!