Mary – The FOCUS of the New Year

by Fontbonne University on October 10, 2008

in Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events,Our Causes

Coming back to school this year was especially exciting. As an orientation leader for Freshmen Orientation, I got to move back on campus two weeks before everyone else, which is a lot of fun. It’s nice to be at school for a while without having to go to class and work, it makes the transition a lot easier. I moved into my Southwest apartment with one of my roommates, also an orientation leader, and we spent a lot of time getting things unpacked and ready for the new year. After four intense days of orientation training, we welcomed the new freshmen on August 19th. FOCUS is one of my absolute favorite times of the year, but is incredibly busy and draining. We cram a lot of awesome activities in those five days and a lot of planning goes into it. It’s definitely hard to end orientation on late Tuesday night, then start classes bright and early on Wednesday, but I bet all of the FOCUS leaders would agree with me and say that it’s totally worth the experience.

Everything so far is pretty great. It’s very busy, but good. I’m incredibly involved on campus, being the president of two organizations Dance Marathon and FISH, and on the boards for three others, FAB, FOCUS and our Metanoia retreat. I’m also on the executive board for Dance Marathon at Washington University, where the event is held every year. In an average week I attend about¬† seven meetings, as well as babysit and intern in the Campus Ministry Office. It’s a lot, but so far so good. It’s so much fun to be involved on campus and work with tons of great people.¬† That’s one of the main reasons I love Fontbonne so much. It’s so easy to get involved and so many unique and rewarding opportunities arise from doing so. I started getting involved in my freshman year and I plan on staying involved until I graduate. Classes are great, I’m only taking fifteen hours this semester because the fall is pretty busy with things I’m involved with, so next semester I’ll probably step it back up to eighteen, just to make up for this fall, which has been a lot of fun so far!

Check out Student Life, Campus Ministry, Student Organizations, FAB, FISH