fontbonneuniversity

Krista- Kicked Off Fall with Spirit Week

by fontbonneuniversity on October 28, 2008

in Athletics,Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events,Our Causes

It’s the end of Fontbonne’s Spirit Week and all I can say is that I am EXHAUSTED… in a good way, though!

There was SO much going on this week and I had SUCH a good time. On Tuesday, the Griffin Gang (a new organization created by the SGA to increase school spirit and Fontbonne pride!) held its first-ever on-campus tailgating party before the women’s volleyball game. I’m the secretary/promotions chair of the SGA, so I helped start the Griffin Gang, and I have to say I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. The people are awesome and they bring so much school spirit to any event they attend (check out my video interview with Michael Horn, the captain of the GG, at the tailgating party. It’s hilarious.).

After the party, we all marched into the Dunham Student Activity Center holding Michael on our shoulders. It was so funny. Then, we took our places in the bleachers and got started being loud & rowdy for our Griffins! We found out later that the girls really enjoyed us being there, getting the crowd hyped up and saying encouraging cheers for the team. It was a really, really good time.

There were several other Spirit Week events that I enjoyed throughout the week, such as the FISH Tent Event and the lip-synching contest, but the one event that really made my week (and probably my year) was Dance Marathon. This event wasn’t Fontbonne-only, and it wasn’t directly tied to Spirit Week, but I can tell you that the Fontbonne spirit that was shown there was absolutely amazing.

Dance Marathon is an annual fundraiser held at Washington University (right across the street!) for the Children’s Miracle Network. Fontbonne has participated for several years now, but this year marked the 10th anniversary of the fundraiser. Basically, on Saturday from 3pm-3am we danced for 12 HOURS STRAIGHT to raise money for the kids. This year, so many Fontbonne people were involved with DM that we had to make 2 teams instead of 1! The two teams, named (hilariously) FU & FU2, came together as one and had the best time of our lives. We danced together, cheered together, laughed together, and raised over $131,000 together! We were also in the Top 10 Most Spirited Teams (at one point, we were #1!!), which is a HUGE deal, since almost all of the other 100-something teams were from Wash-U (and so were the judges!).

Our teams were headed by Bill Ellis, Monica Ellebracht, and Mary Gould, who is on the Executive Board for DM! (Check out my interview with Bill and Jake King, a dancer on team FU! Also hilarious.) This was such a wonderful experience, as it was last year, and I know I will continue to be a part of Fontbonne’s Dance Marathon team(s), even after I’ve graduated.

This year’s Spirit Week was AWESOME! What a way to kick off the fall season at Fontbonne.  :)
Check out SGA, FISH, Dance Marathon, and Women’s Volleyball on the Fontbonne Webpage!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852T9XgyDgY]